Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Fire Andy Rooney part III

Andy Rooney's December 3rd piece is about Christmas catalogues. It is a pile of stream-of-conscious nonsense and he should be fired for writing such drivel. His words in italics:

"I get a lot of catalogs at this time of year. I never buy anything in any of them but that doesn't seem to discourage the people who send them to me because I keep getting catalogs from the same companies year after year.

I'm no marketing expert, but the fact that you are holding them up on your show that gets millions of viewers may actually be a pretty good reason for companies to continue to send them to you.

"There's one word that's never mentioned though - not once in any of these. You know what the word is?

Curmudgeon?

"The word "Christmas" is nowhere in any of these 27 catalogs I have. The word they use to replace "Christmas" is "Holiday."

I think they're actually using the term "Holiday" to encompass all of the holidays that fall in December so not to be exclusive, so they have a larger group of buyers. It's called "capitalism."

"It's funny you never hear anyone say "Merry Holiday."

And you never hear people say "Happy Christmas, while you do hear people say "Happy Hanukkah" but not "Merry Hanukkah." And of course, people do say "Happy Holidays." I don't see how the adjective we attach to a particular holiday well-wish matters one bit.

"he "Circuit City" catalog looks as if it wants to sell you a car for Christmas but the ad isn't for cars - it's for a television set. You save $300 instantly, the ad says. Does anyone really believe they save $300 instantly on anything?

My guess is that the sale price is $300.00 less than the regular retail price. So yes, if you buy the TV during the sale, you save $300.00 in a sense.

"All the prices in a lot of ads still end in 99 cents. $29.99, $49.99, $129.99. They've been doing that for years. Do you think that 99 cents stuff still works? Are we really that dumb? We don't realize that $129.99 is really $130?

The marketing people have data that suggests that yes, we are that dumb.

"The Sharper Image" offers 50 percent off on two units. What they don't tell you until down here is that one unit costs $499.95.

Are you worried that consumers will go to the store before verifying the price?

"I wonder how much they paid this nice-looking woman to stand here in her underwear while they took her picture? She probably got more this guy got for lying there in bed, pretending to be asleep.

Whatever it was, they deserved it a lot more than you deserve making whatever you make to spout this ridiculous nonsense.

"Solutions" has 162 gifts for under for under $30, in case you want 162 gifts for under $30.

Or in case you want any one of those 162 gifts for under $30.

I personally like a present better than I like a gift. A gift is apt to be something I take back.

"Gift" and "present" are synonyms. They are not different in any way.

"Monitor The Weather From Your Own Backyard." Well, I do that all the time. I stick my hand out and if it gets wet, I know its raining.

Some people would prefer to know more than what the weather is currently doing.

"1,001 Movies You Should See Before You Die." The average movie is around two hours long so I multiplied it out. It would take you about 83 24-hour days to watch all of these. That's without ever getting up to go to the bathroom, too.

Perhaps their target audience for such a list isn't cantankerous old men? I guarantee you I will watch 1,001 more movies before I die. If I live for 40 more years, that's only 25 per year.

"I don't want to sound negative about all the catalogs I get though. I look through them and really enjoy all the money I save by not buying anything from any of them.

As Martin Sheen said in Wallstreet, "money is only something you need in case you don't die tomorrow." And for you Mr. Rooney, that might not be a bad motto to start living by.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to find something in this post worth debating you over, because it seems like it would be an enlightning conversation. But alas, I agree with you. I cannot tell you how long I have been waiting for Andy Rooney to leave 60 Minutes.

The problem is, I think a much older generation than us is Rooney's target audience. And for whatever reason, the execs at 60 Minutes seem to think keeping him around is a good thing. They're probably doing it so they can plan a glorious on-air good-bye for him, one that involves party favors and balloon animals, all made out of leftover catalogue pages from Rooney's office.

Anonymous said...

Curmudgeon is the perfect word to describe Andy Rooney! I myself don't watch 60 Minutes, but if I did, I'd probably wish A.R.'s commentaries came with a month-long supply of anti-depressants.

mediabeing said...

I QUITE AGREE. Rooney is not only wasting precious airtime, he's saying stupid cruel things that make CBS look pretty pathetic.
I would have moved Rooney out some years ago. I think he's gotten to old to realize he's stayed too long on the show. He claims to be a man of some insight. Evidently that insight fails when he looks at his own situation.
I used to like him. Now I'm just embarrassed for him.
I will celebrate upon his leaving 'CBS 60 Minutes'

Anonymous said...

Opulently I to but I think the collection should acquire more info then it has.