Sunday, September 30, 2007

Seasons change

Baseball season is officially over for my Brewers. After starting off 24 and 10, they faltered and lost their division lead to the evil Cubs. Many fans are looking at this season as a disapointment. And in a lot of ways it was. We started out hot as frickin Africa, and ended up very mediocre. We lost a lot of games due to poor management. We had a few key injuries. We made a lot of errors. Many fans showed their disapproval in unrpoductive ways. But in the grand scheme of Milwaukee baseball, it was a great season. Although I was ready to cut my wrists last Thursday and Friday, I feel a lot better today. Although we were out of the playoffs, they played toughthis weekend. And we posted our first winning season in 15 years. We're going to come back a year older and a year wiser. With the team we have, that year means a lot. A lot of people don't want to see Yost come back. I'm not sure what to think about that, but I do think, that if he does come back, he too will come back a year older and a year wiser and we won't see nearly as many mistakes next year. Perhaps in the off season he can finish reading Managing a Professional Baseball Team for Dummies and learn that you shouldn't have position players bunt with two strikes or keep your best relief pitcher on the bench when there's a fire burning on the bases. I'll be sad to see Jenkins go if he does in fact go. He gave a lot to this team. He was a shining light in some pretty dismal seasons. It's sad that we couldn't get him to the playoffs. I'd love to give him another chance but it's probably not in the cards with his contract up. But we do know that next year the team will have Weeks, Hardy, Braun, Fielder, Hart, Hall, Gillardo and Villanueava. That's a group that can only improve when you raise the average age a year, up to 15 or 16 or whatever. We'll have to be on the lookout for some relief pitchers and maybe a corner outfielder. I'm looking forward to next season, but I definitely want to thank my Brewers for this great season. To quote some country western music singer; I could have missed the pain, but then I'd have had to miss the dance. I'm not sure that good 'ol boy was talking about baseball, but this season was a great dance. Thanks Brewers!

Now it's time to concentrate on the undefeated Packers.

No comments: