Saturday, June 9, 2007

Water Buffalo and Getting Old

After getting held up at work until 7:30 or so on Friday evening I was ready for a drink. The former roomie B, his fiance C and I (yes, I am a tremendous third-wheel) met J and his Fiance S (yes, all of my friends are engaged) at Water Buffalo. My cousin K and his wife S met up with us a little later.

As I previously noted, Water Buffalo is located on the corner of Water and Buffalo (duh). It's one of several new restaurant-type places springing up on the Milwaukee Riverwalk. Water Buffalo is sort of going for that "urban-industrial sheek" look. I have no idea what that means. I just heard it on Modern Marvels (okay, it was Trading Spaces) and thought it sounded cool... in a gay sort of way. Anyway, there was a nice view of the river and it was a lovely night. But there's one major problem: really weak drinks. It appears that the barkeepers have been instructed (probably by the fun-police, or maybe their manager or something) to carefully measure out all of their drinks. I would watch them fill the big half of the jigger, pour it into the glass and then fill the small half of the jigger and pour that into the glass, and then top it off with Redbull or Coke. Or in C's case, pineapple juice. Now if I'm not mistaken the big half of a jigger is supposed to be a 1.5 oz. shot and the small half is a 1 oz. "pony" making a grand total of 2.5 oz. of booze in my drink. That doesn't strike me as a weak amount of booze. So my question then is "how much booze are other bartenders putting in my drinks?" Or alternatively, "is Water Buffalo using child-size jiggers?"


After Water Buffalo, we moved the party to a different bar. Shortly after we arrived, a really hot chick called out my name. I had no idea who she was or how I knew her at first. But then it dawned on me that I worked with her at this restaurant about 5 years ago. At the time, I was a 22-year-old waiter and she was a "busgirl"and I thought she was like eleven. She must have actually been older then eleven at the time (because of child labor laws and all), but either way it made me feel really old that (1) she was at the bar, and (2) I thought she was hot. That second one made me feel a little creepy too (although I think in actuality she's only about 6 years younger than me, so not that creepy). Anyway, I'm getting old.

No comments: