Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Did you bring treats?

It's my last day at the old job today. I'm starting my new one on Monday. When they found out I was leaving, no less than four of the secretaries asked me if I'd be bringing in treats for my last day. The answer to that, of course, is "no." My last day on the job, particularly when I'm leaving for a different firm, does not strike me as a treat occasion. Am I wrong about this?

I have to admit, I don't really understand this treat-based culture of the staff here. Is it like this in all offices? They bring in treats for every occasion you can imagine. Cookies, cakes, doughnuts, etc. And they talk about it. What they eat or have eaten is actually a topic of conversation. It's weird. And I thought that one thing that defined a "treat" was its rarity? It's not exactly special if it happens every day. And it's really really unhealthy if it's every day too!!! I certainly don't want to be a part of that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you.

Another thing I can't wrap my head around is the workplace tradition of bring in snacks for your birthday. I guess it's not the act of celebrating someone’s birthday that I find so ridiculous, it's the fact that the birthday boy/girl has to cough up the money to buy the unhealthy B-day snack. Why should I have to bring a birthday cake for myself? I don't get it.

Maybe that was a little off topic...

Danny from Milwaukee said...

Karen,
exactly. I guess whether you buy or are boughten for on your birthday is a cultural thing. But if everyone is providing treats for everyone else on their birthday, we're all going to get fat.

K.Mize said...

You got a new job....congrats!